Friday, August 7, 2009

Good news, disappointment, and a crappy day

Yesterday was my fifth chemo treatment. That would be Cycle 3, Day 1. I woke up unusually tired feeling that morning and as usual I was not looking forward to getting treatment. I'm always concerned about the nurses and techs having trouble with my port, I know that it's always a long day, I know that each chemo treatment brings me about a week of feeling like crap in various ways. I just hard to feel happy on those days. It really hit me when we were pulling into the Froedtert Clinical Cancer Center parking structure. That is when I felt most down about everything that was yet to come.

My lab work was scheduled for 11:30am. We got there a bit early and they called me in pretty fast. Must have been a slow day. Thankfully the tech had no trouble accessing my port, unlike the last two visits. What did affect me is the saline flush they do. They flush the port/line with saline from a syringe before they draw blood and then again afterwards. Every time, I can TASTE it. It is just an awful taste that I can't even describe. It sort of tastes like it smells - medicine-y. Some people say metallic-y. I don't go around tasting much metal so I can't say that's what it's like but either way its horrible. I've begun sucking on hard candy while they do it but it doesn't help much. Yesterday was the worst ever. When the tech flushed at the end of the blood work, I gagged. I had to force myself not to throw up instantly from the taste. It was really terrible.

After the lab, we had about 45 minutes before my appointment with Dr. Fenske. Maria and I shared an unhealthy lunch in the cafeteria. Nothing really looked good, so we got fried chicken with sides of macaroni & cheese and mashed potatoes w/gravy. They probably even shouldn't sell that fattening of food in a hospital, should they? The chicken was pretty tasty but the sides were bland. At least we were sharing one entree, so we didn't have to feel as bad about how unhealthy we were eating. Oh, we also topped it off by sharing a piece of Elegant Farmer Apple Pie. We couldn't resist. We've always wanted to try their pie, but never felt right spending $13 on a pie before. It was super delicious!

On to my appointment with the oncologist. First, they called us back late, and then it took awhile for Julie, the nurse practitioner to come into the room, and then after she left, the doctor came in. So the good news is, based on the PET scan I had the day before, the cancer has shrunk drastically. If I remember right, it's now something like 2cm x 1cm in size. The nurse and doctor seemed very pleased with the progress. On a side note, they also both are impressed that I still have a full head of hair. Of course, I lose a bunch everyday, but overall it still looks good - just thinner than normal.

The doctor also talked to me about my options for continuing treatment. I could go the normal, time tested approach of having less chemo followed by radiation -or- I could try the less tested approach of skipping radiation and just having more chemo treatments. I really wanted to avoid radiation if possible. There are risks to having radiation but there is also a slightly higher risk of having the cancer come back if I don't have the radiation. Since I told myself at the beginning of this that I would do what it takes to get rid of it, hopefully for good, I told him we should include radiation. I'll be seeing the radiation oncologist next Friday for a consultation. I think talking to him will help me truly decide if that is the best option for me or not. Since I still have 3 more chemo treatments to go through before radiation would start, I'm pretty sure I can still change my mind. A lot of it depends on where exactly they want to radiate. If its just my neck, that's one thing but if they want to do any lower, near my chest - that may be a deal breaker for me.

So even though I received good news about the cancer shrinking, I didn't feel happy about it. I think in my head I already worked out that the cancer would be amazingly gone already so I would just need to finish up the planned chemo and could skip radiation altogether. I realize that's not rational and I'm normally a very logical person, but it's just what I've been hoping for I guess. So finding out the cancer is still there, just much, much smaller and that I should still have radiation was disappointing somewhat.

Since the doctor appointment ran late, I was late checking in for chemo. The appointment was for 1:30pm, but I checked in around 1:50pm. You'd think they would have been ready and waiting for me to show up, but no. Instead, we sat around some more. They finally took us back to start around 2:30pm. I warned the nurse about my gagging on the saline flush earlier that day. I did OK when she flushed at the beginning of chemo but at the end of it when she flushed again, I nearly lost it. More than a gagging, I really had to control myself from throwing up. On the way out of the hospital, I stopped to use the restroom and I almost threw up in the sink while washing my hands. It really sucked. I felt nauseous for a long time. Just thinking about the saline taste would make me feel sick again. I had to keep my mind off it. Eventually with some fresh air, deep breathing, and trying not to think about it, I was OK. Maria and I ate dinner and ran to a few stores on the way home. After all that, I was just exhausted from the long, crappy day.

No comments:

Post a Comment

If I personally know you, use the "name/url" or "anonymous" option on the drop-down list and include your name so I know who said what. Thanks! Mikey