Wednesday, July 8, 2009

The sky is falling! Actually it's just my hair.

So yeah, last week my hair started falling out. I noticed around Tuesday or Wednesday. When I wash, dry or style my hair, I end up with tons of individual strands all over my hands, the sink, the towel, etc. I'm not sure yet what I'm going to do about it. I actually don't mind the fact that I'm losing my hair as much as I thought I would. I guess because I knew it would most likely happen. I also look at it as a normal part of the chemo process. Since my hair is falling out, the chemo must be working. The main bad part is just that it's messy. As mentioned, the hair gets everywhere, so that's annoying.

I'm not a hat guy. I never wear hats, not even baseball caps. I've always been one of those guys that spends more time making his hair look good than others. I guess growing up with a hair stylist mom did that to me. But I don't know what I would look like with no hair. I have a large head so I can't picture a shaved or bald head looking all that sexy, so I have a hat all picked out in the event I lose too much and shave the rest off. I'm at the point where I'm overdue for a haircut. I'm trying to decide if I should have it cut like normal and see what happens, or if I should just get rid of it now. The doctor said I may not lose all my hair, but it may just thin out some. I'll probably try to keep it as long as possible, so maybe I'll get a haircut on Friday.

Other than the hair thing, the last five days or so have been pretty good. I've felt like myself, no real pain or side effects, just all around good. We had a fun 4th of July BBQ with some good friends. I still get worried at night and have trouble falling asleep some nights, but the days have been really good.

Tomorrow is my 3rd treatment. I also get to see my oncologist tomorrow, which I'm happy about because I haven't seen him since the week before my 1st treatment when he told me I was stage 1A and laid out the treatment plan.

My 31st birthday is Saturday. No big plans for going out this year, just taking it easy at home after my treatment. My mom and step-dad are coming over to grill out and have promised to do all the prep and cooking. That will be nice. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

If I personally know you, use the "name/url" or "anonymous" option on the drop-down list and include your name so I know who said what. Thanks! Mikey