Friday, September 25, 2009

Moving on to the next phase of treatment

Last Friday I had my last chemotherapy treatment. I am so happy that phase is over. While the last treatment wasn't as bad as the previous one, I did still throw up at the hospital immediately after it was over. I can envision the nausea and other side effects only getting worse as time goes on, so I'm glad to be done with chemo.

Yesterday I had my radiation planning appointment. It went smoothly. I talked to the resident doctor, Dr. Wood for a bit. He explained the planning process again and we talked a bit about side effects and other questions I had. He mentioned again that the chance of getting another cancer from the radiation is .25% per year. Because I'm relatively young (I sure don't feel like it anymore!) that means in 20 years, I'll have a 5% chance and in 40 years a 10% chance.

During the actual planning session, I laid on the table of a CT machine while the radiation technicians got me into place and made various markings, took measurements and photos. They even took a photo of my face just for the purpose of visual identification - so they can physically see that they are giving radiation to the right person.

Part of the preparations included them making a mold of my face. A technician took a warm plastic mesh with a hard frame on three sides and stretched the mesh down over my face and chin and connected it to the cradle on the table where my head was laying. Although I was trying to keep my eyes closed (the stretchy mesh kept pulling them open), I was able to see and breathe through the holes in the mesh. I was warned that some people have claustrophobic issues when this is done, but I didn't experience that. Once in place, the mesh was cooled off to help it harden and keep its shape.

Once everything was ready, they scanned me using the CT machine - with the mesh mask still keeping me in place. The doctor will use the images from the CT scan to determine how to set up the radiation so that it radiates the areas that should receive it and avoids other areas as much as possible. I was also marked in three places with a blue marker - one on my chest and one on each side near the top of my ribs. The markings were covered with clear stickers to help keep from washing off. These markings, along with the mask, will help them ensure that I am lined up properly every day.

After the planning was over, the nurse practitioner wanted to talk to me more about side effects. She gave me a booklet with details as well as some special lotion and special mouthwash. The lotion is for the area of my skin that gets radiated, because it will start to look sunburned over time. The radiation from the sun is how people get a tan or sunburned, so the effects of the radiation treatments are similar.

I was given my first appointment for radiation. It starts October 5th and will continue every weekday for 3.5 to 4 weeks. That gives me just over a week of normalness before the next phase of my cancer treatment starts. Although going to the hospital every day will suck, at least it will be over in a month and I'll (hopefully) be cancer-free and back to a normal life in time for the holidays.

1 comment:

  1. thanks for the updates! i'm so happy for you that you're done with the chemo part... yipee!

    ReplyDelete

If I personally know you, use the "name/url" or "anonymous" option on the drop-down list and include your name so I know who said what. Thanks! Mikey